- Original title
- Ah-ga-ssi (The Handmaiden)
- Running time
- 145 min.
- South Korea
- Park Chan-wook, Jeong Seo-Kyeong. Novel: Sarah Waters
- Kim Min-hee
- Kim Tae-ri
- Ha Jung-woo
- Cho Jin-woong
- Moon So-ri
- Kim Hae-sook
- Lee Yong-nyeo
- Lee Dong-hwi
- Yoo Min-chae
- See all credits
- Thriller. Drama. Romance | 1930s. Erotic. Gay & Lesbian. Romantic Drama
- Movie Groups
- Sarah Waters Adaptations
- 1930s Korea, in the period of Japanese occupation, a new girl is hired as a handmaiden to a Japanese heiress who lives a secluded life on a large countryside estate with her domineering Uncle. But the maid has a secret. She is a pickpocket recruited by a swindler posing as a Japanese Count to help him seduce the Lady to elope with him, rob her of her fortune, and lock her up in a madhouse. The plan seems to proceed according to plan until Sookee and Hideko discover some unexpected emotions.
- Rankings Position
2017: BAFTA Awards: Best Film not in the English Language2016: Cannes Film Festival: Official Selection2016: National Board of Review (NBR): Top Foreign Films2016: Sitges Film Festival: Audience Award2016: Critics Choice Awards: Nominated for Best Foreign Language Film2016: Los Angeles Film Critics Association: Best Foreign Language Film & Production Design
- Critics' reviews
- Movie Soulmates' ratings
Register so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your movie taste.
- Friends' ratings
Register so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community.
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report a spoiler, error or omission? Please send us a message.
- Ranking Lists Position
- 6 My Favorite Korean Movies (152)
- 12 My Top 10 Movies from 2016 (353)
- 21 Most Memorable Erotic Movies (52)
- 40 My Favorite Asian Movies (109)
- 49 My 10 Favorite Movies of the Decade (2010-2019) (85)
If you are not a registered user please send us an email to [email protected]
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective producers and/or distributors.For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org