Related Music Video
- Original title
- Running time
- 188 min.
- United States
- Tom Cruise
- John C. Reilly
- Philip Baker Hall
- Julianne Moore
- William H. Macy
- Jason Robards
- Philip Seymour Hoffman
- Melora Walters
- Melinda Dillon
- April Grace
- Henry Gibson
- Jeremy Blackman
- Michael Bowen
- See all credits
- Drama | Melodrama. Ensemble Film. Cult Movie
- In a single day in Los Angeles, a number of interconnected lives are changed forever. A lonely police officer (John C. Reilly) falls in love with a disturbed cocaine addict (Melora Walters). Her father (Philip Baker Hall), the host of the game show "What Do Kids Know?" has terminal cancer and tries to make amends for his past mistakes. A former champion of the show (William H. Macy) struggles to find love while the current champion (Jeremy Blackman) suffocates under the pressures of being a boy genius. An elderly man (Jason Robards) lies on his deathbed, tended by nurse Phil Parma (Philip Seymour Hoffman), while his trophy wife (Julianne Moore) wrestles with grief and guilt, and his estranged son (Tom Cruise), an infomercial host, teaches workshops on how to trick women into having sex. Throughout all of this, past deeds are lamented and strange forces loom in the air.
- Rankings Position
1999: 3 Nominations for Oscar: Best Supporting Actor (Tom Cruise), Song, Screenplay1999: Golden Globes: Best Supporting Actor (Tom Cruise). 2 Nominations1999: 3 Awards National Board of Review: Best Cast, Supp. Actor and Supp. Actress2000: Berlin Film Festival: Golden Bear - Best Movie2000: Guldbagge Awards (Sweden): Best Foreign Film1999: Critics' Choice Awards: Nominated for Best Film
- Critics' reviews
"The more you think about Magnolia -- the dry wit, the bravura staging, the intricate design, the wondrous performances -- the better and more unusual the film seems."
"The most imperfect of the year's best movies, Magnolia's flaws are easily forgiven because they are the result of go-for-broke ambition"
"An impressive piece of work with some fine acting that makes holding our interest for three-plus hours seem easy."
- Movie Soulmates' ratings
Register so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your movie taste.
- Friends' ratings
Register so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community.
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report a spoiler, error or omission? Please send us a message.
- Ranking Lists Position
- 12 Movies I Want to Watch (old releases) (4495)
- 18 My 10 favorite active Film Directors and my favorite movie of each one of them (22)
- 32 Movies with the Best Beginnings (not including opening credits) (46)
- 36 My Favorites from the 90s (216)
- 61 Movies with Skillful Editing (22)
- 62 Movies I Want to Own (114)
- 68 Movies I Like But Wouldn't Recommend to Everyone (34)
- 72 Movies with Great Screenplays (50)
- 75 My Favorite Dramas (175)
- 79 The Weirdest Movies I Have Ever Watched (49)
If you are not a registered user please send us an email to [email protected]
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective producers and/or distributors.For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org
1999Paul Thomas Anderson