- Original title
- The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
- Running Time
- 119 min.
- United States
- John Ford
- James Warner Bellah & Willis Goldbeck (Story: Dorothy M. Johnson)
- Cyril Mockridge (AKA Cyril J. Mockridge)
- William H. Clothier (B&W)
- James Stewart, John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Vera Miles, Edmond O'Brien, Andy Devine, Ken Murray, John Carradine, Jeanette Nolan, John Qualen, Woody Strode, Lee Van Cleef, Strother Martin, Denver Pyle
- Production Co.
- Paramount Pictures
Western | Cult movie
- Synopsis / Plot
- Congressman Ransom Stoddard (James Stewart) returns with his wife Hallie (Vera Miles) to the tiny town of Shinbone to bury an old friend, Tom Doniphon (John Wayne), and tells reporters the truth about how he came to be known as 'the man who shot Liberty Valance.' Many years before, as a dishwasher and aspiring lawyer, Ransom had encouraged Shinbone to stand up against the highwayman Valance (Lee Marvin), a thug who also enforced the will of cattle interests trying to block statehood for the territory. Ransom also attracted the affection of Hallie Ericson, much to the ire of local stalwart Tom Doniphon, whose jealous rage was more dangerous to Ransom than the wrath of Valance and his scum henchmen. But things turned out in rather an ironic way...
: Nominated for Oscar: Best Costume Design (B&W)
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
- Ranking Lists Position
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org