The Following (TV Series)
- Original title
The Following (TV Series)
- Running Time
- 42 min.
- United States
- Kevin Williamson (Creator), Marcos Siega, Joshua Butler
- Kevin Williamson, Adam Armus, Nora Kay Foster, Shintaro Shimosawa
- John Frizzell
- David S. Tuttman
- Kevin Bacon, James Purefoy, Natalie Zea, Shawn Ashmore, Valorie Curry, Nico Tortorella, Kyle Catlett, Annie Parisse, Chinasa Ogbuagu, Adan Canto, John Lafayette
- Production Co.
- Broadcast by FOX Network; Warner Bros. Television / Bonanza Productions / Outerbanks Entertainment
TV Series. Thriller | Psychological Thriller. Serial Killers. Sects / Extremist Cults. Kidnapping Film / Disappearance
- Official Site
- Synopsis / Plot
- A new tv series centered on a diabolical serial killer who uses technology to create a cult of serial killers, and the FBI agent who finds himself in the middle of it. THE FBI estimates there are currently over 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances across the country? What if one brilliant psychotic serial killer was able to bring them all together and activate a following?
Welcome to THE FOLLOWING, the terrifying new thriller from creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson ("Dawson's Creek," the "Scream" franchise). When notorious serial killer JOE CARROLL (James Purefoy, "Rome") escapes from death row and embarks on a new killing spree, the FBI calls former agent RYAN HARDY (Kevin Bacon) to consult on the case. Having since withdrawn from the public eye, Hardy was responsible for Carroll's capture nine years ago, after Carroll murdered 14 female students on the Virginia college campus where he taught literature.
Hardy is a walking textbook of all-things Carroll. He knows him better than anyone; he is perhaps Carroll's only psychological and intellectual match. But the Ryan Hardy who broke the Carroll case years ago isn't the same man today. Wounded both physically and mentally by his previous pursuit of this serial killer, it's been a long time since Hardy has been in the field. This investigation is his redemption, his call to action.
In contrast to nine years ago, Hardy isn't calling the shots on this case. He works closely with an FBI team, which includes all-business and tough-as-nails JENNIFER MASON (Jeananne Goossen, "The Vow," ALCATRAZ) and young, razor-sharp MIKE WESTON (Shawn Ashmore, "X-Men"). The team considers Hardy to be more of a liability than an asset. But Hardy proves his worth when he uncovers that Carroll was covertly communicating with a network of killers in the outside world. It quickly becomes obvious that he has more planned than just a prison escape, and there's no telling how many additional killers are out there.
The FBI's investigation leads Hardy to CLAIRE MATTHEWS (Natalie Zea, "Justified"), Carroll's ex-wife and mother of the criminal's 10-year-old son, JOEY (newcomer Kyle Catlett). Close during Hardy's initial investigation, Hardy turns to Claire for insight into Carroll's next move. The tension rises when Carroll's accomplices kidnap his intended last victim from nine years ago. Hardy becomes ever more determined to end Carroll's game when he realizes that the psychopath intends to finish what he started.
The thriller will follow Hardy and the FBI as they are challenged with the ever-growing web of murder around them, masterminded by the devious Carroll, who dreams of writing a novel with Hardy as his protagonist. The reinvigorated Hardy will get a second chance to capture Carroll, as he's faced with not one, but a cult of serial killers.
THE FOLLOWING is from Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Outerbanks Entertainment and Warner Bros. Television. The series is created, written and executive-produced by Kevin Williamson. Marcos Siega ("Dexter," "The Vampire Diaries") also serves as an executive producer and directed the pilot.
- Critics Reviews
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
- Ranking Lists Position
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org