War and Peace (Voyna i mir)
- Original title
Voyna i mir (War and Peace) aka
- Running Time
- 401 min.
- Soviet Union (USSR)
- Sergei Bondarchuk
- Sergei Bondarchuk, Vasili Solovyov (Novel: Leo Tolstoy)
- Vyacheslav Ovchinnikov
- Anatoli Petritsky, Aleksandr Shelenkov
- Lyudmila Saveleva, Vyacheslav Tikhonov, Gennadi Ivanov, Irina Gubanova, Anatoli Ktorov, Antonina Shuranova, Sergei Bondarchuk, Boris Zakhava, Oleg Tabakov
- Production Co.
Drama. War. Romance | Epic film. The 19th Century. Napoleonic Wars
- Synopsis / Plot
- War and Peace (1968) is an eight-hour epic film based on the eponymous book by Leo Tolstoy. Two main story-lines are complex and intertwined. One is the love story of young Countess Natasha Rostova and Count Pierre Bezukhov, who is unhappy in his marriage. Another is the "Great Patriotic War" of 1812 against the invading Napoleon's Armies. The people of Russia from all classes of society stand up united against the enemy. Napoleon's armies take Moscow only after Russians burned the entire city. Napoleon cannot spend the coldest winter in the old Russian capital, even in it's fortress - Kremlin. Russians besiege the invaders in Moscow by sealing all roads and cutting supplies. Napoleon's massive army becomes exhausted, and many of his troops are deserting to Russians for survival. Napoleon gets defeated after causing terrible losses to both sides. Peace comes at a very high price. Russian society is changed by the war. Pierre Bezukhov returns from the war a mature man. He separates from his manipulative wife Helene. Now he devotes his love to the beautiful and sincere Countess Natasha Rostova.
: Oscar: Best Foreign Language Picture. 2 Nominations
: Golden Globes: Best Foreign Language Picture
: New York Film Critics Circle: Best Foreign Language Film
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org