- Original title
- Cesare deve morire
- Running Time
- 76 min.
- Paolo Taviani, Vittorio Taviani
- Paolo Taviani, Vittorio Taviani (Story: William Shakespeare)
- Giuliano Taviani, Carmelo Travia
- Simone Zampagni
- Fabio Cavalli, Salvatore Striano, Giovanni Arcuri, Antonio Frasca, Juan Dario Bonetti, Vincenzo Gallo, Rosario Majorana, Francesco De Masi, Gennaro Solito, Vittorio Parrella, Pasquale Crapetti, Francesco Carusone, Fabio Rizzuto, Fabio Cavalli, Maurilio Giaffreda
- Production Co.
- Kaos Cinematografica / Rai Cinema / Stemal Entertainment / Le Talee
Drama | Prison drama. Stage Play
- Synopsis / Plot
- The performance of Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar comes to an end and the performers are rewarded with rapturous applause. The lights go out; the actors leave the stage and return to their cells. They are all inmates of the Roman maximum security prison Rebibbia. One of them comments: ‘Ever since I discovered art this cell has truly become a prison’. Filmmakers Paolo and Vittorio Taviani spent six months following rehearsals for this stage production; their film demonstrates how the universality of Shakespeare’s language helps the actors to understand their roles and immerse themselves in the bard’s interplay of friendship and betrayal, power, dishonesty and violence. This documentary does not dwell on the crimes these men have committed in their ‘real’ lives; rather, it draws parallels between this classical drama and the world of today, describes the commitment displayed by all those involved and shows how their personal hopes and fears also flow into the performance. After the premiere the cell doors slam shut behind Caesar, Brutus and the others. These men all feel proud and strangely touched, as if the play has somehow revealed to them the depths of their own personal history.
: Berlin Film Festival: Golden Bear Best Film
: 5 David di Donatello Awards, including Best Film and Director. 8 Nominations
: European Film Awards: 4 nominations, including Best Film & Best Director
: Satellite Awards: Nominated for Best Foreign Film
- Critics Reviews
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
- Ranking Lists Position
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org