- Original title
- Running Time
- 161 min.
- Soviet Union (USSR)
- Andrei Tarkovsky
- Arkadiy Strugatskiy, Boris Strugatskiy, Andrei Tarkovsky
- Eduard Nikolay Artemiev (AKA Edward Artemyev)
- Aleksandr Knyazhinsky, Georgi Rerberg
- Aleksandr Kaidanovsky, Anatoly Solonitsyn, Nikolai Grinko, Natalya Abramova, Alisa Freyndlikh, Faime Jurno, Raymo Rendi
- Production Co.
- Mosfilm Studios
Sci-Fi. Drama. Mystery | Dystopian film. Cult movie
- Synopsis / Plot
- With STALKER, Russian director Andrei Tarkovsky returns to the mind-bending, philosophy-tinged science fiction of SOLARIS. The setting is an unnamed country in an unforeseen postapocalyptic future. A meteorite has landed, and its impact has created a mysterious phenomenon known as the Zone, within which resides a sinister room said to grant humanity’s deepest desires. Only Stalkers are able to enter the Zone, bringing intrepid citizens to test their strength and desires against the Zone’s enigmatic treacheries. The film follows one such Stalker (Alexander Kaidanovsky) as he attempts to bring two characters known as Writer (Anatoli Solonitsyn) and Scientist (Nikolai Grinko) into the Zone. The hapless trio makes a difficult and mud-drenched journey, dodging military guards and invisible traps and enduring extreme psychological strain. While Tarkovsky avoids any direct political reading of STALKER, the film’s allegorical structure presents a powerful and disturbing metaphor for humanity’s loss of and subsequent quest for faith. The Stalker’s struggle to rescue himself and his family while guiding those more wretched than himself creates a physical and metaphysical drama that leaves the viewer breathless. Blending visual, narrative, and cinematic conventions to portray the fractured logic of the Zone, Tarkovsky conjures a universe of despair and desire in which science, rationalism, and technology must face off against love, humanism, and faith.
: Cannes: Jury Prize Ecuménico
- Critics Reviews
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
- Ranking Lists Position
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org