- Original title
- Running Time
- 130 min.
- United States
- Barbra Streisand, Jack Rosenthal (Story: Isaac Bashevis Singer)
- Michel Legrand, Alan Bergman, Marilyn Bergman
- David Watkin
- Barbra Streisand, Mandy Patinkin, Amy Irving, Nehemiah Persoff, Steven Hill, Allan Corduner, Miriam Margolyes, Ruth Goring, David de Keyser
- Production Co.
- United Artists
Musical. Drama. Romance | Romantic drama. Year 1900. Education
- Synopsis / Plot
- At the beginning of the XX century, in an Ashkenazic shtetl in Poland, Yentl Mendel (Barbra Streisand) is the boyishly klutzy daughter and only child of long widowed Rebbe Mendel, who teaches Talmud (a codification of Jewish Law) to local boys - and to Yentl, but secretly because girls were not allowed to learn the law in those days. When her father dies, Yentl is all alone in the world. She takes the momentous decision to leave the village and - disguised as a boy and calling herself by the name of her late brother, Anshel - seeks and gets admitted to a Yeshiva, to study the texts, traditions, subtleties and complexities of Torah, Talmud, etc. She befriends Avigdor (Mandy Patinkin) who is engaged to Haddas, but her family discovers his brother committed suicide so they call off the wedding (in case Avigdor possesses the same madness). Anshel then finds "him"-self in the awkward position of being called into service as substitute bridegroom, so that the wedding can go ahead and Haddas will have a husband.
: Oscar: Best Adapted Soundtrack. 5 Nominations
: 2 Golden Globes: Best Movie Comedy or Musical and Director. 6 Nom.
: 3 Nominations for Razzie Awards: Worst Actor, Sup. Actress and Original Score
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org