- Original title
- The Elephant Man
- Running Time
- 125 min.
- United States
- David Lynch
- David Lynch, Eric Bergren, Christopher De Vore
- John Morris
- Freddie Francis (B&W)
- Anthony Hopkins, John Hurt, Anne Bancroft, John Gielgud, Wendy Hiller, Freddie Jones, Dexter Fletcher
- Production Co.
- Paramount Pictures. Producer: Mel Brooks
Drama | Disease. Disability. The 19th Century. Based on a true story. Cult movie
- Synopsis / Plot
- David Lynch brings his own dreamlike style to the heartbreaking yet somehow uplifting story of John Merrick (John Hurt), a hideously deformed individual dubbed the Elephant Man during his years in a circus freak show in Victorian England. After suffering for years at the hands of his circus "master," the eloquent, soft spoken Merrick is "rescued" by compassionate surgeon Dr. Frederick Treves (Anthony Hopkins), who allows him to live at the hospital where he works. Merrick becomes a social celebrity when he meets a popular stage performer (Anne Bancroft), but he must continue to fight for his dignity with those who still choose to view him as a freak. Meanwhile, Treves begins to question whether his supposed act of humanity has been just as exploitative as Merrick’s former caretakers.
8 Academy Awards Nominations. 0 Awards.
: César Awards: Best Foreign Film
: 8 Nominations for Oscar, including Actor (Hurt), Art Direction, Costume Design, Director
: Golden Globes: 4 Nominations, including Best Film - Drama
- Critics Reviews
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
- Ranking Lists Position
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org