- Original title
- Running Time
- 108 min.
- United Kingdom
- Phyllida Lloyd
- Catherine Johnson
- Stig Anderson, Benny Andersson, Björn Ulvaeus
- Haris Zambarloukos
- Meryl Streep, Pierce Brosnan, Colin Firth, Amanda Seyfried, Julie Walters, Stellan Skarsgård, Christine Baranski, Dominic Cooper
- Production Co.
- Co-production UK-USA-Germany; Universal Pictures / Littlestar Productions / Playtone
Musical. Comedy. Romance | Music. Weddings
- Official Site
- Synopsis / Plot
- An independent, single mother who owns a small hotel on an idyllic Greek island, Donna is about to let go of Sophie, the spirited daughter she's raised alone. For Sophie's wedding, Donna has invited her two lifelong best girlfriends--practical and no-nonsense Rosie and wealthy, multi-divorcee Tanya--from her one-time backing band, Donna and the Dynamos. But Sophie has secretly invited three guests of her own. On a quest to find the identity of her father to walk her down the aisle, she brings back three men from Donna's past to the Mediterranean paradise they visited 20 years earlier. Over 24 chaotic, magical hours, new love will bloom and old romances will be rekindled on this lush island full of possibilities.
The story of a bride-to-be trying to find her real father told using hit songs by the popular '70s group ABBA. Raised on a Greek island by a formerly rebellious mom who never disclosed the identity of her father, a bride-to-be locates three men who might be her father and invites them to her wedding. The resulting conflict triggers 22 Abba hits like "Dancing Queen," "Take a Chance on Me" and "The Winner Takes It All."
: 2 Nominations for Golden Globe: Best Movie Comedy or Musical, Actress (Streep)
: 3 Nominations for BAFTA Awards: Best British Film, Debut and Music
: Razzie Awards: Worst Actor (Pierce Brosnan)
- Critics Reviews
"Mamma Mia! is fun, the music's terrific and the cast is appealing."
Mick LaSalle: San Francisco Chronicle
"The good-natured silliness is contagious. When Streep runs singing through a Greek village, it's like a spirited homage to "The Sound of Music". (...) Rating: ★★★ (out of four)."
Claudia Puig: USA Today
"You can have a perfectly nice time watching this spirited adaptation of the popular stage musical and, once the hangover wears off, acknowledge just how bad it is."
A. O. Scott: The New York Times
"Scribe-creator Catherine Johnson (...) and theater-opera vet Lloyd can't seem to find the right tone or style for their globally celebrated material"
Jordan Mintzer: The Hollywood Reporter
"Meryl Streep can do anything: sing, dance, do splits, act her heart out. She (almost) saves this clumsy, overwrought film version of the Abba musical"
Peter Travers: Rolling Stone
"Yes, of course this is fairly old-fashioned entertainment, but it's really, really entertaining."
Joe Morgenstern: The Wall Street Journal
"It's funny what you buy completely onstage and resist completely, or nearly, on-screen. Case in point: 'Mamma Mia!'"
Michael Phillips: Chicago Tribune
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
- Ranking Lists Position
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org