José and Pilar
- Original title
José e Pilar
- Running Time
- 125 min.
Miguel Gonçalves Mendes
- Miguel Gonçalves Mendes
- Alberto Iglesias, Camané, Adriana Calcanhotto, Bruno Palazzo, Luís Cília, Noiserv, Pedro Gonçalves, Pedro Granato
- Daniel Nieves
- Documentary, José Saramago, Pilar del Río, Gabriel García Márquez, Gael García Bernal, Fernando Meirelles
- Production Co.
- Co-production Portugal-Spain-Brazil; Jumpcut / El Deseo / O2 Filmes
Documentary | Biography. Literature
- Official Site
- Synopsis / Plot
- "José and Pilar," a documentary by Miguel Gonçalves Mendes, is a deeply moving story about love, loss and literature. It follows the days of José Saramago, the Nobel-laureate Portuguese novelist, and his wife, Pilar del Rio. The film shows their whirlwind life of international travel, his passion for completing his masterpiece, "The Elephant's Journey" and how their love quietly sustains them throughout. "Jose and Pilar" reveals the hidden Saramago, unravels any preconceived notions about him, and proves that genius and simplicity are indeed compatible. It is a funny and touching portrait on the endurance of the artistic spirit. A glimpse into the life of one of the greatest creators of the 20th century, it shows us that, as Saramago says, "There is always another way to say everything."
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org