- Original title
- Running Time
- 100 min.
- United States
- David Lowell Rich
- Jean Holloway (Play: Alexandre Bisson)
- Frank Skinner
- Russell Metty
- Lana Turner, John Forsythe, Ricardo Montalban, Burgess Meredith, John Van Dreelen, Virginia Grey, Warren Stevens, Carl Benton Reid
- Production Co.
- Eltee / Universal Pictures
- Synopsis / Plot
- A woman married to a wealthy socialite, is compromised by the accidental death of a man who had been romantically pursuing her, and is forced by her mother-in-law to assume a new identity to save the reputation of her husband and infant son. She wanders the world, trying to forget her heartbreak with the aid of alcohol and unsavory men, eventually returning to the city of her downfall, where she murders a blackmailer who threatens to expose her past. Amazingly, she is represented at her murder trial by her now adult son, who is a public defender. Hoping to continue to protect her son, she refuses to give her real name and is known to the court as the defendant, "Madame X".
: David di Donatello Awards: Golden Plate (Lana Turner)
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org