- Original title
Yut doi jung si (Yi dai zong shi) (Yidai zongshi) (The Grandmasters) (The Grandmaster)
- Running Time
- 130 min.
- Hong Kong
- Wong Kar-Wai, Xu Haofeng, Zou Jinzhi (Story: Wong Kar-Wai)
- Shigeru Umebayashi
- Philippe Le Sourd
- Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Zhang Ziyi, Zhao Benshan, Chang Chen, Brigitte Lin, Zhang Jin, Song Hye-kyo, Wang Qingxiang, Cung Le, Lo Hoi-pang, Liu Xun, Leung Siu Lung, Julian Cheung Chi-lam
- Production Co.
- Co-production China-Hong Kong; Block 2 Pictures / Jet Tone Production / Sil-Metropole Organisation / Annapurna Pictures
Drama. Action | Martial arts. Biography. China-Japan War (II)
- Official Site
- Synopsis / Plot
- The story of martial-arts and the soul of China civilization. Two kung fu masters —Ip Man (Tony Leung), the man who trained Bruce Lee, and Gong Er (Zhang Ziyi), who comes from the north, meet in Ip Man's hometown of Foshan on the eve of the Japanese invasion in 1936. Gong Er's grandfather, a renowned grandmaster, is also traveling to Foshan for his retirement ceremony, which is to take place at the legendary brothel The Golden Pavilion. This story of betrayal, honor and love plays out during the tumultuous Republican era that followed the fall of China's last dynasty, a time of chaos, division and war that was also the golden age of Chinese martial arts.
: Academy Awards: Best Cinematography and Custome design
: National Board of Review (NBR): Top Foreign Films
: Berlin Film Festival: Official Selection - Out of Competition
- Critics Reviews
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
- Ranking Lists Position
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org