- Original title
- Running Time
- 93 min.
- United States
- Ben Hecht
- Adolph Tandler, Gus Arnheim
- Lee Garmes & L. William O'Connell (B&W)
- Paul Muni, George Raft, Boris Karloff, Ann Dvorak, Karen Moley, Osgood Perkins, Vince Barnett, C. Henry Gordon, Edwin Maxwell
- Production Co.
- Universal Pictures
Film-Noir. Thriller | Police. Crime. Mafia
- Synopsis / Plot
- Big Louis Costillo, last of the old-style gang leaders is slain, and his former bodyguard Tony Camonte is taken into custody. Since Costillo's body has never been found, the police have to release him, though they strongly suspect Johnny Loro paid Tony to remove Big Louis. Tony begins taking over the rackets in town with violent enforcement, and he becomes a threat to Johnny and the other bosses unless they work for Tony. Meanwhile, Tony's sister wants to be more independent, but finds it difficult to escape from her brother's overprotective grasp. The dissatisfaction of the other bosses and the relentless pursuit of the police push Tony towards a major confrontation.
: National Board of Review (NBR): Top 10 films
- Ratings by Movie Soulmates
so you can access movie recommendations tailored to your personal movie tastes.
- Ratings by Friends
so you can check out ratings by your friends, family members, and like-minded members of the FA community of users.
- Ranking Lists Position
Is the synopsis/plot summary missing? Do you want to report an error or omission? Please send us a message
If you are not a registered user please send an email to info -at- filmaffinity -dot- com.
All copyrighted material (movie posters, DVD covers, stills, trailers) and trademarks belong to their respective owners (studio and/or distributor).
For US ratings information please visit: www.mpaa.org www.filmratings.com www.parentalguide.org